Watching television can be very entertaining, but I believe reading books can be an even better use of time.
My wife and I have one television in our home and we got rid of cable years ago, but we still enjoy watching certain shows and events when we want to.
We all have the same amount of time to spend each week. What you do with your 168 hours can affect your intellect, your health, and even your relationships.
Here are 5 Reasons I Believe You Would Benefit From Turning off the TV more and reading books:
1) You Can Become a Better Leader – the more I have followed successful people, the more I have heard the phrase, "leaders are readers". I believe reading the works from and about leaders helps you understand how to better handle situations. This applies as a parent, a businessperson, or even as a church volunteer or worker.
2) You Can Stimulate Your Brain – watching television shows that have no educational value can really be a waste of time. Instead, watch programs that use sophisticated speech and try to teach something of value.
3) You Can Learn More about Something That Interests You – There are millions of books in existence and hundreds of thousands of them are being written each year. There are probably enough books on any subject you want to learn than you could read and fully comprehend in a lifetime. Instead of spending hours in from of a television, taking just 30 minutes a day to read about a subject can position you as an expert on the topic.
4) You Can Discover Better Ways of Communicating – As you read the works of others, you learn different ways people communicate. You can learn better sentence structure, new words to add to your vocabulary, and how to speak and write more influentially.
5) You Can Be Inspired – Sometimes programs on television, such as the nightly news, can be depressing to watch. The stories are mostly negative and can drain your hope in a better world. If you read books, your perspective on success or how the world really is can change. It is common to think that mostly negative things happen in the world, but the truth is that many inspirational things happen every day and through reading about them in books, we can be inspired.
Question: What are some reasons you would benefit from turning off the TV more and reading some books?