In the United States and other countries around the world, today is the day we recognize as Valentine's Day. It is a day to celebrate love and to share romantic times with your special someone.
Wikipedia ties the first traces of romantic association of the holiday to the High Middle Ages when "courtly love flourished". During that time, "lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards.."
My wife and I usually don't plan much for the day since our anniversary is only a couple weeks before.
Photo courtesy of SXC.HU
While today I could share about our relationship or the love that husbands and wives can share for each other, I figured that I would share a few notes from a sermon that I shared a few years ago.
The sermon, entitled "A Love Worth Talking About", broke down the significance of John 3:16.
1. God – The greatest lover of all mankind since His creation. Only the Lord has the capacity to love every one because He created us and knows us intimately. When we truly know what His love feels like, we don’t have to look to any other source to satisfy our souls.
2. So Loved – The Lord loves us in the highest way possible. There is no love that is deeper than his love, wider than his love, higher than his love, or can exceed His magnificent love. When you think no one can love you, He can and He will love you.
3. The World – No one on the face of this Earth, except our Lord can say that He knows everyone who has ever existed. He knew us before we were formed in our mother’s womb (Jeremiah 1:5). He knows what everyone in the world likes and dislikes. He knows how many hairs are on your head (Luke 12:7). It doesn’t matter your race, your height, your weight, your intelligence or how much money you have, He loves you so much.
4. That He gave – God was not forced to offer his son. He loved us so much that he gave him as a sacrifice for the sins of every single person who has lived and ever will live.
5. His only begotten Son – I have three sons and if I had to give up one of them to save someone else, I could not fathom it. God gave his precious son to experience terrible things on this earth. Even though the gift of a new baby is wonderful and I’ve been blessed to experience it, this does not come close to the indescrible gift of Christ dying on the cross and resurrecting from the grave so that all who believe in name can have eternal life.
6. That whoever – This is our opportunity and our invitation. We recently reached a population of 8 billion people. It is estimated that only 2 billion people have come to know Jesus as their Lord and saviour. That means so many have failed to take advantage of the opportunity to be born again by saving faith in Jesus Christ. It is available to anyone! Let's share that good news.
7. Believes – We have to believe in him to gain eternal life and forgiveness and deliverance from the penalty of our sins. Only believe. The things that are impossible with men are possible for those who believe. Let your belief be a saving faith that acknowledges your sins, repents and turns toward God as your only hope for forgiveness, regeneration and a new birth through the entrance of the Holy Spirit of God in your life.
8. In Him – Believing in anyone else won’t do much good. You can believe in your mom and dad. You can believe in yourself. You can believe in a best friend, but it won’t do any good in determining your final resting place. Contrary to what people in the world want you to believe, there is only one way to get to heaven and it is through Jesus Christ
9. Should not perish – Only Jesus can offer salvation for those who place their faith in Him and ask Him to come into their life as Savior and Lord. When Christ assures you of deliverance from hell and misery He always delivers regardless of your background or your problems.
10. But Have – When God gives you a gift there is no way you can lose it or have it taken away. You can be sure that whoever has Jesus has eternal life and even though you may walk through trying times in your life, you will never have to fear evil because He is with you – comforting, protecting and guiding you all the way to heaven.
11. Eternal Life – What a joy to know that the Savior allows you to set your eternal destination at the moment you invite Christ to come into your life as Savior and Lord. He will never leave you or forsake you so that you can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper, what can man do to me."
I hope that what I have shared with you is a love worth talking about. Share this post, print a copy for someone, or simply tell someone that Jesus saves.
Question: Have you experienced this love worth talking about? What are some ways you share it?